WORLD VISITOR MAP


Sunday, September 9, 2007

Daruma 2 Go















The little fellow above was a gift from a friend.(Thanks Bryn) At the time, I had no idea of the concept behind the Daruma.

From Wikipedia:
Daruma dolls (daruma?), also known as dharma dolls, are hollow and round Japanese wish dolls with no arms or legs, modelled after Bodhidharma, the founder and first patriarch of Zen.[1] Typical colors are red (most common), yellow, green, and white. The doll has a face with a moustache and beard, but its eyes only contain the color white. Using black ink, one fills in a single circular eye while thinking of a wish. Should the wish later come true, the second eye is filled in.

Rather then use the *Wish* concept, I decided to use my daruma with another concept in mind.

Also from Wikipedia:
The daruma doll has been used by various time management systems as a symbol for an uncompleted major task/goal. When you start a task you color in one pupil, and then put the doll/image where it can be seen so it continually reminds you about that task. When the task is completed the second eye can be filled in to denote completion.

So, my daruma remained in it's little box for a long time until I could muster up the progressive, forward motion required to exact change here on my Belew Marble.

What change to make ?

This was a huge question as there are so many areas for which I could make improvement.
I decided, since discipline is lacking in my world, to attack one school of managment at a time. Finance floated to the surface, you know, the thing which causes the most pain at any given moment gets attention like the proverbial squeaky wheel.
So, with two steps forward and three steps back, I trudge a path towards balance in this area until I feel like my little buddy is ready to see in stereo.

There he sits on my tabla, constantly nagging, nagging and nagging.

Where's my credit card, i need to order more daruma...

block

3 comments:

the music junkie said...

Blockie,

I am happy you have finally welcomed the spirit of daruma into your life. He is a patient little guy, always has an eye on you and understands the nature of humans. We take our own sweet time to learn a lesson and absorb the widsom of it all.

But let me tell you, once you do have him looking at you with two good eyes, you are never quite the same.

Somehow, believing in yourself and following through is the reward daruma brings to your life.

Mine sits here by my computer, two eyes smiling at me after a very long time winking at this woman who was not so self assured.

Thanks for the pic too. It brought a smile to my face.

Namaste dear one.

Vern

blockdog said...

Thank you Vern. Mine used to sit on my computer but, I moved him, not to avoid his watchful eye but because he looks mighty fine sitting in my bay window on my lovely set of tabla.

Namaste to you too,

blockie

Anonymous said...

Blockie,
Thank you for sharing your thoughts with the world. My Belew Marble is a wonderful and long time overdue coming out of your sweet and brilliant self. Namaste
A Sister